As the years pass by, it’s not just our skin that shows signs of ageing, it’s our hair too. Aside from going grey, hair can get thinner, drier and more brittle with age. There are plenty of ways you can make your hair look younger, healthier and softer, though. Here are some top tips, from how to make your hair soft and shiny with oils and brushes, to how to eat your way to healthy hair.
* Use protein-rich treatments: Your hair might feel rougher as you get older because of changes in hormones. Using chemicals and heat on your hair will make the damage even worse. You can smooth the texture of your tresses by using keratin protein treatments at home a couple of times a week. Protein-rich treatments containing amino acids or wheat proteins can also help weak, brittle hair too.
* Shine on: A boar bristle brush is a simple fix for making your hair shinier. Paddle brushes help bring your scalp’s natural oils to the ends of your hair, which will increase the level of shine.
* Eat your way to younger-looking hair: Eat foods rich in omega 3 fatty acids, like salmon, to help the health of your hair. Vitamin B helps your hair shine, so eat plenty of eggs, nuts and fish. And of course, drink lots of water throughout the day too, to help keep your hair hydrated.
* Supplement your diet: Your hair might have become brittle after years of straightening, bleaching or dyeing. You can help strengthen your strands by taking a hair vitamin with biotin and silica, which will strengthen the collagen. Be patient, though; it can take six months to see the results of vitamins. You can also stimulate your hair follicles’ growth with a scalp massage.
* Condition dry hair: Your hair becomes drier with age because your scalp makes less essential fatty acids and lipids. Get some hydration back into the ends of your hair by rubbing a bit of conditioner (or dry conditioner) after you’ve dried it to add moisture. Remember to keep heavy conditioners and oil-based products at least two inches away from your scalp, focusing on the ends which are more prone to breakage and dryness.
* Embrace oil: If you’re wondering how to make your hair soft, reach for the oil, specifically argan oil, which you’ll find in many hair products. There are also specific shampoos and conditioners that have ingredients to boost the softness of your hair. You can also make an argan, coconut, olive or almond oil mask every one or two weeks to keep your locks soft to the touch! And don’t forget to also embrace your hair’s natural oils, especially if you struggle with dryness – avoid washing your hair every day as much as possible to not strip it from its precious nutrients and natural moisture.
* Combat hard water: The minerals calcium, magnesium and iron in hard water can play havoc with your hair. They build up on your scalp and make your products less effective. To combat these ill effects, add some apple cider vinegar to a cup of water and do a rinse after you wash your hair to help remove some of those minerals. You can also reduce the dullness of your hair by squeezing lemon juice in water and rinsing with that.
If you combine these simple hair care instructions with basic tips on how to make your hair soft, you will have all the information you need to achieve the younger-looking hair you always dreamed of. You’ll improve the way your hair looks and feel beautiful!