Wow, it’s hot isn’t it?! Are you managing to keep yourself looking glam in this heatwave? No matter what I do – I can’t seem to look presentable when it’s above 30 degrees, particularly when it comes to my hair!
Love French Style Blog has teamed up with beauty editor Joana to bring you The Ultimate Hair Washing Guide, so, here you have it, all your questions answered! Cool!
When it comes to answering the question how often should you wash your hair, there are many things to take into account. From different hair types to the amount of product to use, so here are some of the key questions on looking after your precious locks answered to help you.
- Should you wash your hair daily?
For most people the simple answer is no – washing your hair every 2-3 days is usually fine. However, your hair type will affect this and a little trial-and-error testing may be necessary to help you find your perfect balance. Remember to consider these tips:
- If you’re very active and sweat heavily on a daily basis, then you may need to wash your hair more often than normal to stay feeling fresh or clean
- Those with oily hair can also benefit from daily hair washing but dry, curly or thick hair might prefer a weekly wash
- How much shampoo should you use?
How much product you use depends entirely on how often you’re washing your hair, but the general rule is that less is more.
- If you’re washing your hair daily, one rinse with shampoo is enough
- If you’re washing your hair less often then you can repeat shampooing, particularly if you use a lot of styling products that may have left some residue behind
- Always follow the directions on the label to understand how much shampoo to use. Some people advocate only washing your hair in water but others counter-argue that this can never truly remove dirt. See what works best for you
Be careful! Using too much shampoo can leave your hair more prone to damage as its natural oils can be washed away.
- What about conditioning?
Does everyone need to use conditioner on their hair? And how should it be applied? There are no simple answers to these questions, but the following tips can help:
- Your hair will definitely benefit from weekly conditioning. If you want to do it more often than that, use a product designed for regular use so your hair isn’t left greasy
- Try a deep conditioning treatment every other week. This is a great way of nourishing your hair to keep your locks as luscious as possible
- Always condition your hair from the mid-point to the tips and use a wide tooth comb to spread it evenly throughout your hair
- Keep conditioner away from your scalp: it can make your roots oily and greasy
Now you’ve got some answers to how often should you wash your hair and what process you should follow when doing so, you can be a little more strategic with your beauty regime. Identify your hair type is, consider your lifestyle, and pay attention to how you use shampoo and conditioner. Every head is different so find the routine that works for you!